January 10, 2018

Gulfstream GIV Overview (1987 – 1992)

Product Overview

The Gulfstream GIV is an updated version of the Gulfstream GIII. It was given a 54-inch cabin stretch (allowing for a 6th window on each side), upgraded engines that are more powerful and fuel efficient than their predecessors, and an aerodynamically and structurally improved wing which allows for additional fuel capacity. Upgraded avionics made it the first business jet to have an entire glass cockpit with an advanced EFIS avionics suite and six color CRT displays.

As of September 2017, 93% of Gulfstream GIV aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owners, the other 7% new. 10.1% are for sale with the majority of those (72%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale, the average time on the market is 371 days

Brief History

Design work on the GIV began in early 1983 and the first flight took place on September 19, 1985. The GIV entered into service in 1987 after receiving FAA certification on April 22 of that year. A total of 196 GIV aircraft were manufactured with 179 currently in operation worldwide. It was upgraded to the special purpose GIV-SP version in 1993 and was later re-designated the G400.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 179 Gulfstream GIV aircraft in operation today. Most of these are wholly owned (175) with three in shared and one in fractional ownership. 11% are currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of wholly owned Gulfstream GIV aircraft (86%) followed by Asia (7%).




Two Rolls-Royce Mk 610-8 engines power the Gulfstream GIV each offering 13,850 lbs of thrust and using 479 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the GIV is 4,091 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.


The cabin volume for the Gulfstream GIV is 1,658 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 14 passenger and 2 crew seats. The aircraft has a galley and a lavatory.


Maximum Cruise Speed: 480 kts 889 km/h
Long-range Speed: 459 kts 850 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 5,280 ft (1,609 m) (SL, 50 ft obstacle clearance, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 3,380 ft (1,030 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 45,000 ft (13,716 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 77.5
Flyover: 86.6
Approach: 92.0


A. Maximum ramp weight: 73,600 lb (33,385 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 73,200 lb (33,204 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 58,500 lb (26,536 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 46,500 lb (21,092 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 43,500 lb (19,732 kg)


Honeywell SPZ-8000 avionics suite, Collins radios FMS and dual Honeywell laser inertial reference systems, six-screen color EFIS


Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Click Here to view Gulfstream aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.


Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.


Footer Newsletter Pop-Up

Join our mailing lists. Select preferred lists

    Join the 2000+ subscribers on our mailing list. Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news & insights, aircraft inventory updates and event information.


    Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news, aircraft inventory, and event updates.