May 23, 2018

Bombardier Learjet 40XR Overview (2005 – 2012)

Product Overview

The Learjet 40XR is an upgraded version of the Learjet 40 with improvements in hot-and-high performance, climb rates and faster long range cruise speeds resulting in a range of more than 240 nm. The increases are due to the upgraded Honeywell “BR” engines from the “AR” used on the Learjet 40.

As of February 2018, 70% of Learjet 40XR aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owners, the other 30% new. 10.8% are for sale with the majority of those (90%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale, the average time on the market is 275 days.

Brief History

Derived from the Lear 45, the Learjet 40 and 40XR are 24.5 inches shorter and have a maximum take-off weight that is 150 lbs. lighter. These two characteristics increase performance and lower operational costs. The Lear 40 aircraft received FAA certification in July 2003, as an amendment to the Type Certification of the Lear 45, and ended production in 2009. The Learjet 40XR went into operation in 2005 and ended production in 2012. A total of 93 Learjet 40XR aircraft have been manufactured with all of them currently in operation.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 93 Learjet 40XR aircraft in operation today. Most of these are wholly owned (89), with 2 in fractional ownership and 2 in shared ownership. 10.8% are currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of wholly owned Learjet 40XR aircraft (76%), followed by South America (18%).



Two Honeywell TFE731-20BR engines power the Learjet 40XR each offering 3,500 pounds of thrust and using 212 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Learjet 40XR is 1,862 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.


The cabin volume for the Learjet 40XR is 363 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 6 passenger and 2 crew seats.


Maximum Cruise Speed: 449 kts 832 km/h
Long-range Speed: 436 kts 807 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 4,680 ft (1,426 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,355 ft (718 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 51,000 ft (15,545 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 75.5
Flyover: 93.4
Approach: 85.1


A. Maximum ramp weight: 21,250 lb (9,639 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 21,000 lb (9,526 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 19,200 lb (8,709 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 16,000 lb (7,258 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 13,949 lb (6,327 kg)


Honeywell Primus 1000


Of the 93 Learjet 40XR in operation, 27 (29%) have ADS-B Out installed.


Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Click Here to view Bombardier aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.



Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.