June 21, 2019

Bombardier Challenger 650 Overview (2015 – Present)

Product Overview

The Challenger 650 is the updated version of the Challenger 605. The Challenger 650 features 2 additional executive seats to accommodate up to 12 passengers, upgraded engines offering a higher thrust rate to reduce takeoff field length, and larger appliances in the galley to assist with faster meal preparation.

As of March 2019, 6% of Challenger 650 aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owner, the other 94% new. 3.5% are for sale with all of those (100%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale the average time on the market is 129 days.

Brief History

The CL-600 platform has evolved over the years with the Challenger 650 being the latest model. The Challenger 604 was introduced in 1995 as a major upgrade to the Challenger 601 – it was given more powerful engines, larger fuel supply, structural improvements to its wings and tail, and a new electronic flight bag. Ten years later (2005), the Challenger 605 was introduced with an avionics and structural upgrade from the 604 design. Ten years after that (2015) came the Challenger 650, which Bombardier first announced at NBAA in 2014 with NetJets being the launch customer. A total of 91 Challenger 650 aircraft have been built with 5 still at the manufacturer.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 86 Challenger 650 business jets in operation today. Most of these are wholly owned (66) with 20 in fractional ownership. 7% are currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of wholly owned Challenger 650 aircraft (56%), followed by Europe (29%) and Asia (10%). NetJets – US has the largest fleet of Challenger 650 aircraft (20).


Highlights

Performance

Two General Electric CF34-3B engines power the Challenger 650 each offering 8,729 pounds of thrust and using a combined 227 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Challenger 650 is 4,011 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.

Interior

The cabin volume for the Challenger 650 is 1,146 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 9 passenger and 2 crew seats.

Speed

Maximum Cruise Speed: 470 kts 870 km/h
Long-range Speed: 424 kts 785 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 5,640 ft (1,719 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,365 ft (721 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 41,000 ft (12,500 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 81.2
Approach: 90.3
Lateral: 86.2

Weights

A. Maximum ramp weight: 48,300 lb (21,909 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 48,200 lb (21,863 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 38,000 lb (17,237 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 32,000 lb (14,515 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 27,250 lb (12,360 kg)

Avionics

Rockwell Collins Pro Line 21 and Fusion

ADS-B Out

Of the 86 Challenger 650 aircraft in operation all have ADS-B Out installed.

Resources

Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Click Here to view Bombardier Challenger 650 aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.

SIGN UP FOR OUR MONTHLY JETSTREAM RECAP

Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.

JOIN THE LIST