June 29, 2023

Gulfstream G-IV Overview (1987 – 1992)

Product Overview

The G-IV is an upgraded evolution of the G-III with a 54-inch cabin stretch and six cabin windows. The aircraft is fitted with two Rolls-Royce Tay MK 610-8 engines which are more powerful and fuel-efficient than the Spey MK 511-8 model that the G-II and G-III were powered by. The Gulfstream G-IV also became the first business jet to have an entire glass cockpit with an advanced EFIS avionics suite and six-color CRT displays.

As of April 2023, 94% of the Gulfstream G-IV ownership comes from the pre-owned market, the other 6% from new. 12.4% of those are currently for sale, with the majority under an exclusive broker agreement (79%). For those on the market, the average time on the market is 10.4 months. Over the past 12 months, the Gulfstream G-IV has averaged 2 full retail transactions per month.

Brief History

Design work on the G-IV began in early 1983, with the first of four production prototypes making first flight on September 19, 1985. FAA certification was awarded on April 22, 1987.

The G-IV began operational service with serial number 1000 in 1987 and was upgraded to the special purpose G-IV-SP version at serial number 1214 in 1993. A total of 196 Gulfstream G-IV aircraft have been produced.

Worldwide Appeal

There are currently 153 Gulfstream G-IV aircraft in operation worldwide. The majority of those (149) are wholly owned with 4 in shared ownership and none in fractional ownership. 7.8% are currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of wholly owned Gulfstream G-IV aircraft (86%) followed by Asia (7%).



The Gulfstream G-IV is powered by Two Rolls-Royce Mk 610-8 engines each offering 13,850 lbs of thrust. The Gulfstream G-IV uses 520 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the G-IV is 4,200 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.


The cabin volume for the Gulfstream G-IV is 1,658 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 14 passengers and 2 crew seats.


Maximum Cruise Speed: 476 kts
882 km/h
Long-range Speed:
459 kts
850 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 5,450 ft (1,661 m)
Landing distance: 2,650 ft (808 m)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 45,000 ft (13,716 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Lateral: 86.6
Approach: 92.0


A. Maximum ramp weight: 73,600 lb (33,385 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 73,200 lb (33,204 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 58,500 lb (26,536 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 46,500 lb (21,092 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 43,500 lb (19,732 kg)


Honeywell SPZ-8000 avionics suite, Collins radios FMS and dual Honeywell laser inertial reference systems, six-screen color EFIS


Of the 122 Gulfstream G-IV in operation in the US 95% have ADS-B OUT installed.

Derivative Model

Gulfstream G-II, G-IIB, and G-III

Range Report

Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Aircraft For Sale

Click here to view the aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.


Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.


Footer Newsletter Pop-Up

Join our mailing lists. Select preferred lists

    Join the 2000+ subscribers on our mailing list. Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news & insights, aircraft inventory updates and event information.


    Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news, aircraft inventory, and event updates.