September 5, 2014

Citation XLS Overview (2003 – 2008)

Overview including differentiating features from other aircraft in its category

The Cessna Citation XLS is the second aircraft in the Citation Excel series. It is an updated version of the original Citation Excel (Model 560 XL). Upgraded Pratt & Whitney PW545B engines allow for an enhanced powerplant performance.

As of March 2014, the Citation XLS market is comprised of 38% pre-owned. The percentage for sale is 5.5% with 83% of that under an exclusive broker agreement and average days on the market are 369 days.

Brief History

The first delivery of the Citation XLS occurred in 2003. The series ended production in 2008. During that time, a total of 330 aircraft have been produced with all but one of those currently in operation.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 329 Citation XLS aircraft currently in operation worldwide with 238 wholly owned, 81 fractionally owned, and 10 in shared ownership. Of the 238 wholly owned Citation XLS aircraft in operation by continent, North America has the largest percentage at 57%, followed by Europe at 24% for a combined total of 81%. Also, 42% of the 329 Citation XLS jets in operation today are in fleet ownership with the largest fleet operator (NetJets) having 46 aircraft. Additionally, 11% of the Citation XLS jets are leased.


Citation_XLS fwd cabin JSPerformance

The Citation XLS is powered by two Pratt & Whitney PW545B engines each offering 3,991 pounds of thrust. The Citation XLS uses 211 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Citation XLS is 1,796 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.


The cabin volume for the Citation XLS is 461 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 9 passenger and 2 crew seats.


The Citation XLS Maximum Take-Off Weight (MTOW) is 20,200 pounds (9,163 kg) with a maximum range of 1,841 nm.


Maximum Cruise Speed: 433 kts 802 km/h
Long-range Speed: 373 kts 691 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 3,560 ft (1,085 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,739 ft (835 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 45,000 ft (13,716 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 72.2 Approach: 92.8 Lateral: 86.8


A. Maximum ramp weight: 20,400 lb (9,253 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 20,200 lb (9,163 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 18,700 lb (8,482 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 15,100 lb (6,849 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 12,800 lb (5,806 kg)


Honeywell Primus 1000


Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Click Here to view Cessna Citation aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.


Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.


Footer Newsletter Pop-Up

Join our mailing lists. Select preferred lists

    Join the 2000+ subscribers on our mailing list. Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news & insights, aircraft inventory updates and event information.


    Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news, aircraft inventory, and event updates.