October 14, 2014

Boeing BBJ Overview (1997 – Present)

Overview including differentiating features from other aircraft in its category

The original Boeing Business Jet was the initial variant of Boeing airliners designed for the corporate jet market. It was based on the 737-700 and 737-800 commercial airliner.

As of August 2014, the Boeing BBJ market is comprised of 39% pre-owned. The percentage for sale is 11% with 71.4% under an exclusive broker agreement and average days on the market are 402 days.

Brief History

The Boeing BBJ began production in 1997 and continues to be manufactured up to the present day. During that time, a total of 131 aircraft have been produced with all but 4 remaining in operation.

Worldwide Appeal

Of the 127 Boeing BBJ aircraft in operation by continent, Asia has the largest percentage at 39%, followed by North America at 35% for a combined total of 74%. Also, 35% of the 127 Boeing BBJ jets in operation today are in fleet ownership with the largest fleet operator (U.S. Air Force) having 7 aircraft. Additionally, 9% of the Boeing BBJ jets are leased.


BBJ executive lounge-JSPerformance

The Boeing BBJ is powered by two CFM56-7B26 engines each offering 27,300 pounds of thrust. The Boeing BBJ uses 682 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Boeing BBJ is 6,237 nm operating under NBAA IFR 8 passengers with available fuel.


The cabin volume for the Boeing BBJ is 5,390 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 19 passenger and 4 crew seats.


The Boeing BBJ Maximum Take-Off Weight (MTOW) is 171,000 pounds (77,564 kg) with a maximum range of 6,306 nm.


Maximum Cruise Speed: 470 kts 870 km/h
Long-range Speed: 452 kts 837 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 6,085 ft (1,855 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,360 ft (719 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 41,000 ft (12,497 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 85.4                Approach: 95.8 Lateral: 94.9


A. Maximum ramp weight: 171,500 lb (77,791 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 171,000 lb (77,564 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 134,000 lb (60,781 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 126,000 lb (57,153 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 92,345 lb (41,887 kg)


Rockwell Collins HGS-4000


Click here to view the online range map. To receive a more detailed custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons, contact us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected].

Click Here to view Boeing BBJ aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.


Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.


Footer Newsletter Pop-Up

Join our mailing lists. Select preferred lists

    Join the 2000+ subscribers on our mailing list. Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news & insights, aircraft inventory updates and event information.


    Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news, aircraft inventory, and event updates.