April 13, 2016

Cessna Citation Excel Overview (1998 – 2004)

Product Overview

The Citation Excel is combination of Cessna technologies and designs with a shortened Citation X stand-up fuselage and a lengthened Citation V wing. The Excel’s PW545A engines make it faster than the V Ultra and give it a higher MGTOW and a longer range. The Cessna Citation Excel (Model 560XL) was the original version of the Excel series of aircraft. It was designed to compete in the more traditional twin-turboprop market.

As of March 2016, 80% of the Citation Excel aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owners, the other 20% new. 6% are currently for sale with the majority of those (86%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale, the average number of days on the market is 313.

Brief History

The first flight of a prototype Citation Excel was on February 29, 1996. The series began production in 1998 and was replaced by the Citation XLS in 2004 following completion of 371 deliveries.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 369 Citation Excel aircraft in operation today. Most of these are owned outright (301) with 12% currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of Citation Excel aircraft (78%), followed by Europe (9%).


Citation Excel Interior JSPerformance

Two Pratt & Whitney PW545A engines power the Citation Excel, each offering 3,804 pounds of thrust and using 217 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Citation Excel is 1,657 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.


The cabin volume for the Citation Excel is 422 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 8 passenger and 2 crew seats.


Maximum Cruise Speed: 423 kts 783 km/h
Long-range Speed: 367 kts 680 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 3,590 ft (1,094 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,906 ft (886 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 45,000 ft (13,716 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 72.4 Approach: 93.1 Lateral: 85.3


A. Maximum ramp weight: 20,200 lb (9,163 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 20,000 lb (9,072 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 18,700 lb (8,482 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 15,000 lb (6,804 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 12,550 lb (5,693 kg)


Honeywell Primus 1000


Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Click Here to view all Cessna Citation aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.


Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.


Footer Newsletter Pop-Up

Join our mailing lists. Select preferred lists

    Join the 2000+ subscribers on our mailing list. Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news & insights, aircraft inventory updates and event information.


    Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news, aircraft inventory, and event updates.