April 7, 2017

Bombardier Challenger 850 Overview (1996-2012)

Product Overview

The Challenger 850 is derived from the Bombardier CRJ200 commercial airliner. It can accommodate up to 50 standard class seats as a corporate shuttle, but is often configured to accommodate 14-16 passengers with an executive configuration.

As of February 2017, 43% of the Challenger 850 aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owners, the other 57% new. Currently, 8.7% are for sale with the majority of those (67%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale, the average time on the market is 744 days.

Brief History

The Challenger 850 was first manufactured in 1996 as the Challenger SE (Special Edition) and rebranded in 2006 as the Challenger 850. Production ended in 2012 following completion of 71 deliveries.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 69 Challenger 850 aircraft in operation today. All of these are wholly owned with none in shared or fractional ownership. 11.9% of the Challenger 850 aircraft are currently leased. Europe and Asia have the largest percentage (39% each), followed by North America (19%).


Highlights

Performance

Two General Electric CF34-3A1 engines power the Challenger 850, each offering 8,729 pounds of thrust and using 311 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Challenger 850 is 2,986 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.

Interior

The cabin volume for the Challenger 850 is 1,964 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 14 passenger and 2 crew seats.

Speed

Maximum Cruise Speed: 459 kts 850 km/h
Long-range Speed: 424 kts 785 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 6,305 ft (1,922 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,475 ft (754 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 41,000 ft (12,497 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 78.8 Flyover: 82.4 Approach: 92.1

Weights

A. Maximum ramp weight: 53,250 lb (24,154 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 53,000 lb (24,041 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 47,000 lb (21,319 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 44,000 lb (19,958 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 34,618 lb (15,703 kg)

Avionics

Collins Pro Line 4 digital avionics package, dual digital communication/navigation radios, dual Litton INS, and FMS TCAS GPWS and WXR-840 color weather radar.

Resources

Click here to view the online range map. To receive a more detailed custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons, contact us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected]

Click Here to view all Challenger 850 aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.