August 9, 2017

Bombardier Challenger 601-3R Overview (1993-1996)

Product Overview

The Challenger 601-3R is a twin turbofan large-cabin wide-body business jet. The cabin is uncharacteristically large with a quiet interior for passenger comfort, and offers a surprisingly high performance considering its size and weight. It is similar to its predecessor, the Challenger 601-3A model, but has upgraded engines, a fuselage tailcone fuel tank, and 2,000 lb. gross weight increase.

As of June 2017, 91% of the Challenger 601-3R were purchased pre-owned by their current owners, the other 9% new. 12.1% are for sale with the majority of those (86%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale, the average time on the market is 314 days.

Brief History

The Challenger 601 series is an improvement over the Challenger 600 aircraft and consists of 3 versions – 1A, 3A and 3R. The Challenger 601-3R, which uses the -3A1 General Electric CF34 engine, replaced the Challenger 601-3A in 1993 as the most recent variation in the 601 series. A total of 60 Challenger 601-3R aircraft have been manufactured with 58 in operation today.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 58 Challenger 601-3R aircraft in operation today. Most of these are wholly owned (56) with 2 in shared ownership. 3.4% of the 58 are currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of Challenger 601-3R aircraft (84%), followed by Asia (5%) and Africa (5%).


Highlights

Performance

Two CFM international CF34-3A1 engines power the Challenger 601-3R each offering 8,729 pounds of thrust and using 352 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Challenger 601-3R is 3,504 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.

Interior

The cabin volume for the Challenger 601-3R is 1,035 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 11 passenger and 2 crew seats.

Speed

Maximum Cruise Speed: 459 kts 850 km/h
Long-range Speed: 425 kts 787 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 6,050 ft (1,844 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 3,300 ft (1,006 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 41,000 ft (12,497 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 79.8
Flyover: 85.7
Approach: 90.1

Weights

A. Maximum ramp weight: 45,250 lb (20,525 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 45,100 lb (20,457 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 36,000 lb (16,330 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 31,000 lb (14,062 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 26,250 lb (11,907 kg)

Avionics

The Challenger 601-3R is equipped with the Honeywell SPZ-8000 fully integrated digital avionics guidance system with left- and right-side primary flight displays and a centerfold multifunction screen. Also included is the Honeywell color weather radar.

Resources

Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Click Here to view all Bombardier Challenger aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.