November 19, 2018

Citation Sovereign Overview (2004 – 2013)

Product Overview

The Cessna Citation Sovereign was designed to provide overall excellent performance while allowing exceptional comfort for passengers. It was first introduced as a high-performance jet to plug the gap between the Excel/XLS and Citation X, but its claim to fame is that it can take-off and land at short distances thanks to a moderately swept high-aspect ratio wing.

As of August 2018, 58% of the Citation Sovereign aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owners, the other 42% new. 3.7% are for sale with half of those (54%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale, the average time on the market is 344 days.

Brief History

The Cessna Citation Sovereign was first unveiled in 1998 at the NBAA Annual convention in Las Vegas, Nevada and the first flight took place in February 2002. FAA certification was awarded in June 2004 and customer deliveries began later that same year. Production of the Citation Sovereign ended in 2013 as the Sovereign+ began deliveries. A total of 350 Citation Sovereign business jets were built, 1 is retired, 1 is at the manufacturer.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 348 Sovereign aircraft in operation today. Most of these are wholly owned (288) with 16 in shared ownership and 44 in fractional ownership. 9.5% are currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of wholly owned Sovereign aircraft (72%), followed by Europe (11%) and South America (6%). NetJets has the largest fleet of Sovereign aircraft with 44.



Two Pratt & Whitney PW306C engines power the Citation Sovereign each offering 5,770 pounds of thrust and using a combined 247 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Citation Sovereign is 2,829 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.


The cabin volume for the Citation Sovereign is 571 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 9 passenger and 2 crew seats.


Maximum Cruise Speed: 445 kts 824 km/h
Long-range Speed: 397 kts 735 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 3,640 ft (1,109 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,202 ft (671 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 47,000 ft (14,326 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 71.8
Flyover: 91.3
Approach: 87.5


A. Maximum ramp weight: 30,550 lb (13,857 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 30,300 lb (13,744 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 27,100 lb (12,292 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 20,800 lb (9,435 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 18,150 lb (8,233 kg)


The Sovereign uses the Honeywell Primus Epic glass cockpit avionics suite, coupled with dual Honeywell FMZ2000 FMS units.


Of the 348 Citation Sovereign in operation, 299 (86%) have ADS-B Out installed.


Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Click Here to view Cessna aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.


Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.

Answering Your Questions During COVID-19 Click here