December 18, 2019

Citation XLS Overview (2003 – 2008)

Product Overview

The Cessna Citation XLS is the second aircraft in the Citation Excel series. It is an updated version of the original Citation Excel (Model 560 XL). Upgraded Pratt & Whitney PW545B engines allow for an enhanced powerplant performance.

As of October 2019, 64% of Citation XLS aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owner, the other 36% new. 3.7% are for sale with the majority of those (75%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale the average time on the market is 231 days.

Brief History

The first delivery of the Citation XLS occurred in 2003 and production ended in 2008. The Citation XLS was replaced by the XLS+ model which was another upgraded model in the Excel series. A total of 330 Citation XLS business jets have been built with 1 retired and 1 still at the manufacturer.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 328 Citation XLS business jets in operation today. Most of these are wholly owned (236) with 12 in shared ownership and 80 in fractional ownership. 7% are currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of wholly owned Citation XLS aircraft (70%), followed by Europe (15%). NetJets – US has the largest fleet of Citation XLS aircraft (56) followed by NetJets – Europe with 24 aircraft, for a total of 80 in fractional ownership.



Two Pratt & Whitney PW545B engines power the Citation XLS each offering 3,991 pounds of thrust and using a combined 211 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Citation XLS is 1,796 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.


The cabin volume for the Citation XLS is 422 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 10 passenger and 2 crew seats.


Maximum Cruise Speed: 431 kts 798 km/h
Long-range Speed: 357 kts 661 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 3,560 ft (1,085 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,739 ft (835 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 45,000 ft (13,716 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 72.7
Approach: 92.3
Lateral: 86.3


A. Maximum ramp weight: 20,400 lb (9,253 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 20,200 lb (9,163 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 18,700 lb (8,482 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 15,100 lb (6,849 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 12,800 lb (5,806 kg)


Honeywell Primus 1000


Of the 328 Citation XLS in operation, 309 (94%) have ADS-B Out installed.


Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Click Here to view all Cessna aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.


Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.


Footer Newsletter Pop-Up

Join our mailing lists. Select preferred lists

    Join the 2000+ subscribers on our mailing list. Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news & insights, aircraft inventory updates and event information.


    Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news, aircraft inventory, and event updates.