January 23, 2020

Challenger 604 Overview (1995 – 2006)

Product Overview

The Challenger 604 is a super mid-sized class aircraft introduced as a major upgrade to the Challenger 601 design. This updated model incorporated more powerful engines, larger fuel supply, completely new undercarriage, structural improvements to wings and tail, and a new electronic flight instrumentation system. The Challenger 604 is a longer-range derivative of the 601-3R with a larger fuel capacity and upgraded engines.

As of October 2019, 87% of Challenger 604 aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owner, the other 13% new. 6.2% are for sale with the majority of those (82%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale the average time on the market is 320 days.

Brief History

The Challenger 604 started deliveries in 1995 when it replaced the Challenger 601 and was one of the first business jet designs with a super-critical wing. Several variants of the Challenger 604 have been manufactured to meet demanding missions of various military entities around the world. A total of 365 Challenger 604 business jets have been built with 10 retired.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 355 Challenger 604 business jets in operation today. Most of these are wholly owned (344) with 11 in shared ownership. 6% are currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of wholly owned Challenger 604 aircraft (66%), followed by Europe (17%), and Asia (9%).



Two General Electric CF34-3B engines power the Challenger 604 each offering 8,729 pounds of thrust and using a combined 350 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Challenger 604 is 4,024 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.


The cabin volume for the Challenger 604 is 1,146 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 10 passenger and 2 crew seats.


Maximum Cruise Speed: 468 kts 867 km/h
Long-range Speed: 436 kts 807 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 5,840 ft (1,780 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,358 ft (719 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 41,000 ft (12,497 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 80.9
Approach: 90.3
Lateral: 86.2


A. Maximum ramp weight: 48,300 lb (21,909 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 48,200 lb (21,863 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 38,000 lb (17,237 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 32,000 lb (14,515 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 27,100 lb (12,292 kg)


Rockwell Collins Pro Line 4


Of the 355 Challenger 604 aircraft in operation, 333 (94%) have ADS-B Out installed.


Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Click Here to view all Bombardier aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.


Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.


Footer Newsletter Pop-Up

Join our mailing lists. Select preferred lists

    Join the 2000+ subscribers on our mailing list. Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news & insights, aircraft inventory updates and event information.


    Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news, aircraft inventory, and event updates.