October 29, 2021

Boeing BBJ Overview (1997 – Present)

Product Overview

The Boeing BBJ (Business Jet) is an ultra-long-range twin-turbofan jet based on the Boeing 737 passenger jet, using the fuselage of the 737-700 with the strengthened wings and landing gear of the larger 737-800. The Boeing BBJ is also known as a Boeing model 737-700IGW (Increased Gross Weight).

As of August 2021, 54% of all Boeing BBJ aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owners, the other 46% new. 6.2% are for sale with the majority of those (87.5%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale the average time on the market is 254 days.

Brief History

The Boeing BBJ began production in 1997 and continues to be manufactured today. The BBJ first flight was in September 1998 with the first delivery in October 1998. During that time, a total of 132 aircraft have been produced with two retired.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 130 Boeing BBJ aircraft in operation today, all of those are wholly owned. 5.4% are currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of wholly owned Boeing BBJ aircraft (36%), followed by Asia (34%), and Europe (21%).


Highlights

Performance

Two CFM56-7B27E engines power the Boeing BBJ each offering 27,300 pounds of thrust and using a combined 697 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Boeing BBJ is 6,270 nm operating under NBAA IFR 8 passengers with available fuel.

Interior

The cabin volume for the Boeing BBJ is 5,390 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 19 passenger and 4 crew seats.

Speed

Maximum Cruise Speed: 470 kts 870 km/h
Long-range Speed: 452 kts 837 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 6,085 ft (1,855 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,360 ft (719 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 41,000 ft (12,497 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 85.4
Approach: 95.8
Lateral: 94.9

Weights

A. Maximum ramp weight: 171,500 lb (77,791 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 171,000 lb (77,564 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 134,000 lb (60,781 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 126,000 lb (57,153 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 92,345 lb (41,887 kg)

Avionics

Rockwell Collins HGS-4000

ADS-B Out

Of the 62 Boeing BBJ in operation in the US 97% have ADS-B OUT installed.

Derivative Models

BBJ2, BBJ3, BBJ MAX7, BBJ MAX8, and BBJ MAX9

Range Report

Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Aircraft For Sale

Click here to view all Boeing aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.

SIGN UP FOR OUR MONTHLY JETSTREAM RECAP

Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.

JOIN THE LIST
×
Answering Your Questions During COVID-19 Click here