February 28, 2022

Embraer Legacy 500 Overview (2014–2020)

Product Overview

The Legacy 500 is a mid-size business jet that was the culmination of a six-year development program for the fly-by-wire model. It features a flat floor and stand-up cabin which was a first for this class of aircraft. At the October 2018 NBAA convention Embraer introduced the Praetor 600 model as an upgraded variant of the Legacy 500.

As of November 2021, 35% of all Legacy 500 aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owners, the other 65% new. 3.6% are for sale with less than half of those (33%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale the average time on the market is 29 days.

Brief History

The Embraer Legacy 500 had its first flight on November 27, 2012 and was certified in Brazil on August 12, 2014 followed by EASA and FAA approval at the end of September. An assembly line for the Legacy 500 was opened in Melbourne, Florida in June 2016 and production ended in 2020.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 84 Legacy 500 aircraft in operation today. The majority of those (82) are wholly owned with 2 in shared ownership. No Legacy 500 jets are being leased. North America has the largest percentage of wholly owned Legacy 500 (63%) followed by Europe (21%) and South America (10%).



Two Honeywell HTF7500E engines power the Legacy 500 each offering 7,036 pounds of thrust and using a combined 238 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Legacy 500 is 3,125 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.


The cabin volume for the Legacy 500 is 823 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 12 passenger and 2 crew seats.


Maximum Cruise Speed: 467 kts 865 km/h
Long-range Speed: 440 kts 815 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 4,084 ft (1,245 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,114 ft (644 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 45,000 ft (13,716 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 85.5
Approach: 73.1
Lateral: 89.9


A. Maximum ramp weight: 38,537 lb (17,480 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 38,360 lb (17,400 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 34,524 lb (15,660 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 26,500 lb (12,020 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 23,700 lb (10,750 kg)


Rockwell Collins Proline Fusion


Of the 44 Legacy 500 in operation in the US 93% have ADS-B OUT installed.

Range Report

Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Aircraft For Sale

Click here to view all Embraer aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.


Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.


Footer Newsletter Pop-Up

Join our mailing lists. Select preferred lists

    Join the 2000+ subscribers on our mailing list. Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news & insights, aircraft inventory updates and event information.


    Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news, aircraft inventory, and event updates.