October 24, 2022

Bombardier Challenger 850 (1996-2017)

Product Overview

The Challenger 850 is derived from the Bombardier CRJ-200 commercial airliner. The Challenger 850 has transcontinental range and a high-speed cruise. With the option of auxiliary fuel tanks, the Challenger 850 can have an increased range capacity.

As of July 2022, 77% of the Challenger 850 aircraft were purchased pre-owned, the other 23% new. 9.6% are for sale with the majority of those (86%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale the average time on the market is 252 days.

Brief History

The Challenger 850, formerly the Challenger SE and then the Challenger 800, was first manufactured in 1996 as the Challenger SE (Special Edition) and rebranded in 2006 as the Challenger 850. Production of the Challenger 850 ended in 2017. A total of 74 Challenger SE/800/850 aircraft were produced with one since retired.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 73 Challenger 850 aircraft in operation today. The majority of those (72) are wholly owned with one in shared ownership. 13.7% are currently leased. Europe has the largest percentage of wholly owned Challenger 850 aircraft (41%), followed by North America (31%) and Asia (25%).



Two General Electric CF34-3A1 or -3B1 engines power the Challenger 850 each offering 8,729 pounds of thrust and using a combined 333 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Challenger 850 is 2,986 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.


The cabin volume for the Challenger 850 is 1,964 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 14 passenger and 2 crew seats.


Maximum Cruise Speed: 459 kts 850 km/h
Long-range Speed: 424 kts 785 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 6,305 ft (1,922 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,475 ft (754 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 41,000 ft (12,497 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 78.8
Flyover: 82.4
Approach: 92.1


A. Maximum ramp weight: 53,250 lb (24,154 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 53,000 lb (24,041 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 47,000 lb (21,319 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 44,000 lb (19,958 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 34,618 lb (15,703 kg)


The Challenger 850 cockpit is equipped with the Collins Pro Line 4 digital avionics package, dual digital communication/navigation radios, dual Litton INS, and FMS TCAS GPWS and WXR-840 color weather radar.

Derivative Models

Challenger 800, CR200

Range Report

Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Aircraft For Sale

Click here to view Bombardier aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.


Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.


Footer Newsletter Pop-Up

Join our mailing lists. Select preferred lists

    Join the 2000+ subscribers on our mailing list. Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news & insights, aircraft inventory updates and event information.


    Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news, aircraft inventory, and event updates.