The Learjet 45 was Learjet’s first clean sheet design since the company’s first aircraft – all other models until that point had evolved from the original 1963 Learjet design of Model 23. This new model changed the Learjet line by combining the efficiency and price of a light jet with the interior space and range of a medium jet. It features lower maintenance costs due to longer inspection intervals.
As of March 2019, 96% of the Learjet 45 aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owners, the other 4% new. 10.7% are for sale with more than half of those (69%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale the average time on the market is 289 days.
Bombardier announced it was developing the Learjet 45 at the US National Business Aircraft Association’s annual convention in Dallas in September 1992. The Learjet 45 received FAA Certification in 1997 and ended production in 2007. It was the Learjet Division’s principal product from the 1990s until the introduction of the Model 75 variant in 2012. A total of 248 Learjet 45 business jets were built, 6 are retired.
There are 242 Learjet 45 business jets in operation today. Most of these are wholly owned (232) with 10 in shared ownership. 5% are currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of wholly owned Learjet 45 aircraft (76%), followed by Europe (9%) and South America (8%).