March 8, 2018

Bombardier Challenger 605 Overview (2006 – 2016)

Product Overview

The Challenger 605 was introduced as an upgrade to the Challenger 604. With the success of the Challenger line, Bombardier continues to use the general design while offering updated technology and improvements. The 605 offers larger and higher positioned windows, an upgraded galley, a revamped cabin and cockpit, and upgraded avionics, along with an increased payload.

As of September 2017, 42% of the Challenger 605 aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owners, the other 58% new. 6.3% are for sale with the majority of those (89%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale, the average time on the market is 251 days.

Brief History

Bombardier introduced its Challenger 604 in 1995 as a major upgrade on the Challenger 601 design that incorporated more powerful engines, larger fuel supply, a completely new undercarriage, structural improvements to its wings and tail and a new avionics system. Ten years later the Challenger 605 was introduced with upgrades to the 604 design. Production ended in 2016 with a total of 290 Challenger 605 aircraft manufactured.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 287 Challenger 605 aircraft in operation today. Most of these are wholly owned (281) with 3 in shared and 3 in fractional ownership. 9.4% are currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of wholly owned Challenger 605 aircraft (58%), followed by Asia (21%), and Europe (17%).



Two General Electric CF34-3B engines power the Challenger 605 each offering 8,729 pounds of thrust and using 258 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Challenger 605 is 4,047 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.


The cabin volume for the Challenger 605 is 1,150 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 9 passenger and 2 crew seats.


Maximum Cruise Speed: 470 kts 870 km/h
Long-range Speed: 424 kts 785 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 5,840 ft (1,780 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,360 ft (719 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 41,000 ft (12,500 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 81.2
Flyover: 90.3
Approach: 86.2


A. Maximum ramp weight: 48,300 lb (21,909 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 48,200 lb (21,863 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 38,000 lb (17,237 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 32,000 lb (14,515 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 27,150 lb (12,315 kg)


Rockwell Collins Pro Line 21


Click here to view the online range map. To receive a more detailed custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons, contact us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected].

Click Here to view Challenger 605 aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.