September 19, 2019

HondaJet HA-420 Overview (2016 – 2018)

Product Overview

The twin-engine, seven-seat HondaJet HA-420 is the first aircraft developed by Honda Aircraft Company. The over-the-wing engine mount is the major differentiating feature of the HondaJet and was engineered and proven by Honda after more than 20 years of extensive research and development. The HondaJet’s over wing engine mount configuration was designed to maximize cabin space and achieve lower wave drag at a high Mach number. The nose and wing are designed for laminar flow, and the main fuselage has a constant profile.

As of June 2019, 16% of the HondaJet HA-420 aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owners, the other 84% new. 23.3% are for sale with the majority of those (81%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale, the average time on the market is 298 days.

Brief History

Honda began to research compact business jets in 1986. The design of the first HondaJet was years in the making, but the concept was locked-in in 1999. The first proof-of-concept version of the HondaJet flew in 2003 with the first FAA-conforming/production ready HondaJet having its first flight in December 2010. The GE Honda HF120 engine received FAA type certification on 13 December 2013, and production certification in 2015. The HondaJet HA-420 was certified in December 2015 with the first delivery happening that same month. A total of 120 HondaJet HA-420 aircraft have been built with 2 retired/stored and 28 at the manufacturer.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 90 HondaJet HA-420 aircraft in operation today. All of these are wholly owned and 3% are currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of wholly owned HondaJet HA-420 aircraft (82%), followed by Europe (11%).



Two GE Honda HF-120-H1A engines power the HondaJet HA-420 each offering 2,037 pounds of thrust and using a combined 104 gallons per hour (GPH). The engine features a single fan, a two-stage compressor and a two-stage turbine. The range of the HondaJet HA-420 is 1,065nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.


The cabin volume for the HondaJet HA-420 is 350 cubic feet. Typical executive configuration features 5 passenger seats with 1 crew.


Maximum Cruise Speed: 420 kts 778 km/h
Long-range Speed: 360 kts 667 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 3,934 ft (1,199 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,795 ft (852 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 43,000 ft (13,106 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 72.9
Approach: 87.5
Lateral: 85.4


A. Maximum ramp weight: 10,680 lb (4,844 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 10,600 lb (4,808 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 9,860 lb (4,472 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 8,800 lb (3,992 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 7,450 lb (3,379 kg)


The HondaJet HA-420 is equipped with a touchscreen 3-display Garmin G3000 glass cockpit avionics system.


Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Click Here to view aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.


Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.


Footer Newsletter Pop-Up

Join our mailing lists. Select preferred lists

    Join the 2000+ subscribers on our mailing list. Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news & insights, aircraft inventory updates and event information.


    Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news, aircraft inventory, and event updates.