June 25, 2024

Bombardier Learjet 40XR Overview (2005 – 2012)

Product Overview

The Learjet 40XR is an upgraded version of the Learjet 40 with improvements in hot-and-high performance, climb rates and faster long range cruise speeds resulting in a range of more than 240 nm. The increases are due to the upgraded Honeywell “BR” engines from the “AR” used on the Learjet 40.

As of May 2024, 62% of Learjet 40XR aircraft ownership comes from the pre-owned market, the other 38% new. 7.37% are currently for sale, with the majority (85.7%) under an exclusive broker agreement. For those on the market, the average sale time is 144 days.

Brief History

Derived from the Lear 45, the Learjet 40 and 40XR are 24.5 inches shorter and have a maximum take-off weight that is 150 lbs. lighter. These two characteristics increase performance and lower operational costs. The Lear 40 aircraft received FAA certification in July 2003, as an amendment to the Type Certification of the Lear 45 and ended production in 2009. The Learjet 40XR went into operation in 2005 and ended production in 2012.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 92 Learjet 40XR aircraft in operation today. The majority of those (91) are wholly owned with 1 in fractional ownership. No aircraft are currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of wholly owned Learjet aircraft (69.57%), followed by South America (22.83%). TVPX Aircraft Solutions Inc. (Trustee) own the largest fleet of Leerjet 40XR aircraft with 6.



Two Honeywell TFE731-20BR engines power the Learjet 40XR each offering 3,500 pounds of thrust and using 212 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Learjet 40XR is 1,862 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel. The Lear 40XR uses the Honeywell Primus 1000 avionics.


The cabin volume for the Learjet 40XR is 363 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 6 passenger and 2 crew seats.


Maximum Cruise Speed: 449 kts 832 km/hr
Long-Range Speed: 436 kts 807 km/hr

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 4,680ft (1,426m)
Landing distance: 2,355ft (718m)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 51,000ft (15,545m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Flyover: 93.4
Approach: 85.1
Lateral: 75.5


A. Maximum ramp weight: 21,250lb (9,639 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 21,000lb (9,526 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 19,200lb (8,709 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 16,000lb (7,258 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 13,949lb (6,327 kg)

Range Report

Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Aircraft For Sale

Click here to view the aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.


Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.


Footer Newsletter Pop-Up

Join our mailing lists. Select preferred lists

    Join the 2000+ subscribers on our mailing list. Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news & insights, aircraft inventory updates and event information.


    Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news, aircraft inventory, and event updates.