January 11, 2022

Cessna Citation Excel Overview (1998 – 2004)

Product Overview

The Citation Excel is a growth/derivative variant of the Citation V Ultra with a shortened Citation X stand-up fuselage and a lengthened Citation V wing. The Excels upgraded engines make it faster than the V Ultra and give it a higher MGTOW and a longer range. The Cessna Citation Excel (Model 560XL) was the original version in the all new Excel series of aircraft and was designed to compete in the more traditional twin-turboprop market.

As of November 2021, 96% of all Citation Excel aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owners, the other 4% new. 5.6% are for sale with more than half of those (55%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale the average time on the market is 144 days. 

Brief History

After being announced in October 1994 at NBAA-BACE, the first flight of a prototype Citation Excel came on February 29, 1996. The series received FAA Certification in 1998 and ended production in 2004 when it was replaced with the Citation XLS. A total of 371 Citation Excel aircraft have been produced with 356 in operation and 15 retired.

Worldwide Appeal

There are 356 Citation Excel aircraft in operation today. The majority of those (337) are wholly owned with one in fractional ownership and 18 in shared ownership. 11% are currently leased. North America has the largest percentage of wholly owned Citation Excel aircraft (83%), followed by South America (7%) and Europe at (5%).


Highlights

Performance

Two Pratt & Whitney PW545A engines power the Citation Excel each offering 3,804 pounds of thrust and using a combined 217 gallons per hour (GPH). The range of the Citation Excel is 1,657 nm operating under NBAA IFR 4 passengers with available fuel.

Interior

The cabin volume for the Citation Excel is 422 cubic feet. Typical configuration features 8 passenger and 2 crew seats.

Speed

Maximum Cruise Speed: 423 kts 783 km/h
Long-range Speed: 367 kts 680 km/h

Airfield Performance

Takeoff distance: 3,590 ft (1,094 m) (SL, ISA, MTOW)
Landing distance: 2,906 ft (886 m) (SL, ISA, MLW)

Operating Altitude

Maximum operating altitude: 45,000 ft (13,716 m)

Noise Level (EPNdB)

Takeoff: 72.4
Approach: 93.1
Lateral: 85.3

Weights

A. Maximum ramp weight: 20,200 lb (9,163 kg)
B. Maximum takeoff weight: 20,000 lb (9,072 kg)
C. Maximum landing weight: 18,700 lb (8,482 kg)
D. Maximum zero fuel weight: 15,000 lb (6,804 kg)
E. Standard basic operating weight: 12,550 lb (5,693 kg)

Avionics

Honeywell Primus 1000

ADS-B Out

Of the 278 Cessna Citation Excel in operation in the US 95% have ADS-B OUT installed.

Derivative Models

Citation XLS and XLS+

Range Report

Contact Us at +1 919 941 8400 or [email protected] to request a custom range report including detailed aircraft comparisons.

Aircraft For Sale

Click here to view all Cessna aircraft for sale by Jetcraft.

SIGN UP FOR OUR MONTHLY JETSTREAM RECAP

Don't miss future Jetstream articles. Sign up for our Jetcraft News mailing list to receive a monthly eblast with links to our latest articles. Click to join the 1,800+ subscribers on our mailing list.

JOIN THE LIST
×
Answering Your Questions During COVID-19 Click here
X

Footer Newsletter Pop-Up

Join our mailing lists. Select preferred lists
  • STAY CONNECTED

    Join the 2000+ subscribers on our mailing list. Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news & insights, aircraft inventory updates and event information.

  • STAY CONNECTED

    Sign up below to receive the latest Jetcraft news, aircraft inventory, and event updates.